Wednesday, April 22, 2009

 

TRIG-gering Grief

    Despite my amusement with the concept behind the Texas Revised Inventory of Grief [TRIG] I am, at heart, a product (sometimes a proud product) of my industrial-civilized upbringing and usually can't pass up the opportunity to take a self-"help" test, which is one of the possible uses of this particular grief assessment. I'm not alone in this. Meghan O'Rourke, whose series of articles about grief in Slate brought my attention to the TRIG (she mentions it and provides the same link to it I've posted above, in the ninth paragraph of the third article in her series, which is linked to the above reference to Slate) also found the assessment intriguing enough to "take".
    Punching the name of the assessment into Google unrolls a list of 27,200 references. If you surround the phrase with quotation marks, the list narrows to 1,310. This, I think, speaks on behalf of the popularity of the assessment, if not its reliability. Most sources advise professionals to use the assessment with circumspection. There has been at least one adaptation of the assessment with an eye to grief involving the loss of a child. This assessment is interesting because it rewords the statements to apply to losing a child and adds a third section, entitled "Related Facts", the statements of which are evaluated on a simple "True/False" scale and are designed to add further insight into the long term grief process of the assessee.
    The unadulterated assessment is divided into two lists of statements, Past Behavior and Present Emotional Feelings. Participation requires the assessee to rank her/his agreement with each statement on a five level scale as follows: a = completely true; b = mostly true; c = neutral; d = mostly false; e = completely false.
    It's hard to find any specific information about scoring on the internet. This may be because distributors of the test are wary about its use for self-assessment. The most complete explanation I found is on page 2 of 6 when this article is opened in one's Adobe Reader; the journal in which the article appears lists the page number as 516. This explanation is particularly interesting because it compares responses to Part I with responses to Part II in an attempt to assess the possibilities of delayed grief and prolonged grief. Pages 10 an 11 of this Power Point article (which opens as a pdf file) presents a scoring explanation which is down and dirty, thus easier to understand and utilize casually. Essentially, when rating one's answers, one scores one's a-e selection on a five point scale, giving one point to "a" answers and sequentially upgrading to five points for "e" answers. The lowest to highest score one can accumulate on Part I is 8 - 40. For Part II: 13 - 65. Informally speaking, the higher one scores, the lower is one's experience of grief. In my research of the TRIG (which was admittedly brief, confined to maybe an hour and a half of clicking into links from my Google search and scanning the articles) I found no evidence of anyone using the assessment to determine levels of "healthy" or "unhealthy" grief. I find this a relief, as it indicates to me something advocated by some of the grief literature I've lately perused: That grief is a highly individual experience and the meaning of ease or difficulty with grief must be considered within the unique circumstances of each Grieving One's life.
    The assessment (and its adaptation) is meant to be administered to the grieving survivor a fair while after the death. Although I found nothing specific to suggest the following, my guess is that Part II and Part III of the adaptation, depending on the circumstances in which the assessment is used, can be and probably are administered multiple times. In the original TRIG, Part I focuses on memories of fresh grief responses immediately after the death; Part II attempts to assess how one has moved through grief and where one is "now" in the process.
    Although it is meant to be used in a formal setting, no doubt proctored and evaluated by a professional, I found that self-(ab)use (I couldn't resist), reading the statements, considering them, even assigning a number to one's grief and comparing it to highest and lowest scores, can be enlightening. On April 14, 2009, when I discovered the TRIG, I decided to take it "straight". My results on Part I were 26 out of a possible 40. My results on Part II were 43 out of a possible 65. Considering that I scored about the same (by percentage) in Part I (65%) and Part II (66%), I surmised that this might indicate that I am handling my grief about the same now as I was when my mother died. This surprised me because it has seemed to me that I am grieving more than I did right after Mom died. As I looked back over the statements and rummaged through the thoughts that each statement aroused when rating them according to how they applied to me I realized that what is likely happening is that I am expressing my grief more freely and understanding it better than in the immediate death wake; responses the TRIG doesn't differentiate in terms of "more" or "less" grief.
    Because I am obsessively self-analytical, I thought it would be entertaining (more for me than you, I suspect) if I include here a review of thoughts I had as I rated the statements, along with how I rated them. Keep in mind that the statements (which I'll display in this color) were developed by Thomas R. Faschingbauer, Richard A. DeVaul, and Sidney Zisook and copyright by TRIGs publisher, American Psychiatric Press:    What did I find "enlightening" about self-administering this assessment?
  1. Although I knew that, for me, there exists a dichotomy between my mother's death and Death, I didn't realize, until performing this assessment, that there isn't professional grief counseling acknowledgment of this dichotomy, why it might exist and what the consequences are of allowing it.
  2. Previous to assessing myself I suspected that I was not handling my need to grieve as well as it seems as though I am.
  3. The assessment informed me about aspects of grief and allowed me to confront them as specific events, sometimes isolated from other grief events, rather than thinking of grief as one amorphous event. The former approach makes grieving easier, for me, anyway, because it helps me locate myself within the process. The latter approach tended to make me feel as though I was traveling through a labyrinth, one out of which I might never emerge.
  4. It helped me realize what, about my behavior, might be specific to grieving and what isn't. Although my confusion about this wasn't overwhelming, it was barely noticeable, in fact, the added clarity was welcome.
    The TRIG appears to be a tool fairly widely used by professionals dealing with those of us ensconced in grief. This suggests that it is useful. It isn't the only tool. I've run across another, the G(rief) A(nd) M(ourning) S(tatus) I(nterview) [and] I(nventory) [GAMSII], especially applicable to complicated mourning, that is equally intriguing and upon which I will probably comment in a later post because it promotes a decidedly different and more personal method of assessment. Since I'm not a professional counselor, let alone a grief counselor, I'm not inclined to criticize the TRIG, despite my critique of Item #8 in Part II. I can see that it's a good organizational tool for thinking about someone who's grieving and seeking information about unique grief profiles. I'm not worried that it might be misused by encouraging counselors to ignore the eccentricities of one person's grief in favor of simply locating them, à la psychological GPS, in The Forest of Grief. I think that viewing grief is an experience that is most likely to provoke awe from any observer, professional or not, and would tend to cause a professional counselor to be more, rather than less, careful about soliciting information and giving advice.
    Would I recommend self-administration of this assessment to people? I would to people who tend toward and enjoy rigorous self-examination and are not prone to diffuse and critical worry about whatever psychological state in which they might find themselves at any particular time for any particular reason. I would to people who tend to harbor a lively and objective curiosity about themselves even if they aren't particularly self-conscious or self-absorbed. I would not to people who might tend to frighten themselves unduly with discovery about their psychological states or if they were normally intent on being oblivious to their psychological states. I also would not recommend it to people who seemed, at the time of the consideration, emotionally fragile, no matter what their previous behavior revealed about their normal emotional profile and self-interest.
    If you're as intrigued as was I, though, give it a go. It's involving and fun, yes, fun, if nothing else.

Labels: , , ,


Comments:
Thank you
Your blog is very informative.
math assignment help
 
Post a Comment

<< Home
All material copyright at time of posting by Gail Rae Hudson

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?